A seminar on the history and future of the domain name system will be hosted by the Oxford Internet Institute in London today.
The seminar will be held on Monday 28 January 2008 from 16:00-18:00. The speakers will be:
- Paul Mockapetris (Keynote), inventor of the DNS protocol, and Board Chair of Nominum
- Lynn St Amour, CEO and President of ISOC
- Markus Kummer, Head of the UN Internet Governance Forum (IGF) Secretariat
- Mike Roberts, first ICANN CEO, and Managing Director The Darwin Group Inc.
- Jonathan Zittrain, Professor of Internet Governance and Regulation, OII
- Edmon Chung, CEO of .ASIA (to be confirmed)
- Dennis Jennings, ICANN Board
Location: The Royal Society, 6-9 Carlton House Terrace, London, SW1Y 5AG. This event is open to the public. If you would like to attend please email your name and affiliation, if any, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
This open public forum will look at the history and future of the Internet Domain Name System (DNS). It will provide an opportunity to commemorate Jon Postel by looking back at the 25 year history of the DNS but also the 10 years of its management under ICANN; and a vision of what the future holds over the coming years.
There is a video trailer available from www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrpo7yCcGE8
This event is organised by the OII in collaboration with Afilias, which has provided support for this forum.
More information is available from the OII’s website atÂ www.oii.ox.ac.uk/events/details.cfm?id=171