EURid might just be the greenest of all top-level domain registries. The .eu registry published its 2020 Carbon Footprint report Tuesday shows their steps to an even greener future based on the objective set within the EMAS framework.
As part of its Environmental Statement, EURid was recently audited for its 2020 CO2 emissions, resulting in an overall footprint of 131 tons CO2eq, and 18% reduction in GHG emissions since 2019. In June 2021, we confirmed our re-certification under the EU Eco-Management and Audit Scheme (EMAS) until 2023.
To compensate for their 2020 CO2 consumption, EURid has continued to support the “Water is Life” initiative in Tulear, one of the poorest cities of Madagascar. The project’s construction of the drinking water systems began in August 2018, and to date, over 3,000 people have gained better access to drinking water. The project is also introducing local population the correct and safe water resources management, raises awareness regarding hygiene, and thus contributes to sustainable development.
“Over the past year we have been involved in a CENTR project to share the best practices of the European registries that are committed to a healthier planet and to educate our industry peers about the measures we enforced to be a green company. Offsetting the CO2 emissions and making our expertise in this sector available to any interested party are just two, small actions of our broader environmental plan”, commented Giovanni Seppia, EURid External Relations manager.
“There is one element that continues to set us apart from our industry peers: our commitment to becoming a fully environmentally friendly company. Our policy is based on the principle of ‘reduce, reuse and recycle’ within a framework that promotes the value of making sustainable choices”, stated EURid CEO, Marc Van Wesemael.
Also this week EURid announced their 2021 .eu Web Awards finalists from over 160 unique nominations. There were almost 13,000 votes that resulted in the following three finalists per category:
- The Leaders (an established business): gurman.eu; dreamwithus.eu; sokol.eu
- The Rising Stars (as start-up/entrepreneur): thatday.eu; pintrip.eu; gaiana.eu
- The Laurels (an educational/institutional/a pan-European ongoing project): federica.eu; dih4cps.eu; project-easier.eu
- The House of .eu (as a news/media/entertainment/blog either company or private): hownormalami.eu; viaggiaregratis.eu; countrysisters.eu
- The Better world (an environmental/green project): h2020-demeter.eu; mile21.eu; h2020-faith.eu
- The Best of .ею and .ευ (a company/organization using the .ею or .ευ extension): солети.ею; новините.ею; книги.ею
The Awards ceremony will be held on 14 October 2021 in Taormina, Sicily! The winners, chosen by the .eu Web Awards Jury, will receive a billboard campaign at Brussels airport among other prizes.
The .tickets new generic top-level domain (new gTLD) has recently relaunched with domains available from around $500 each. Originally won in a private auction in 2014, it was launched in 2015 by Accent Media Limited but never set the world on fire. It peaked above 1,000 registrations from July 2016 to February 2019 and currently sits at around 800 domains under management. The new gTLD is now operated by XYZ Registry and joins their stable of over 22 new gTLDs with over 3.8 million domains under management.
XYZ note they have removed complicated registration restrictions and standardised policies to align with XYZ Domain Name Policies in order to provide additional access and availability for artists, brands, individuals and venues to tap into premium domain name opportunities.
ICANN have published the August 2021 edition of their ccNSO monthly newsletter. Highlights from this month’s edition are:
- Submit your presentation proposal: present at ccTLD News
- Save the date: Join the ccNSO Rules Webinar
- Heads up: Council nominations starting soon, join us for the Council Election Webinar and find out what it takes to join the ccNSO Council
- ICANN72 update
- The Policy Development Process on the retirement of ccTLDs reaches an important milestone
- Meet the ccPDP3-RET leadership team, and read an interview with Stephen Deerhake and Eberhard Lisse, respectively Chair and Vice Chair of the ccPDP Working Group on the retirement of ccTLDs.
MSK-IX has made it possible for the Coordination Center for TLD .RU/.РФ to use the backup registration system in Russia’s ccTLDs. MSK-IX is one of the Emergency Back-end Registry Operators (EBERO). The backup system was developed and is operated by MSK-IX to guarantee continuous operation of the addressing system for .RU and .РФ.