[news release] Rightside Group, Ltd., a leading provider of domain name services that advance the way businesses and consumers define and present themselves online, today announced financial results for the first quarter ended March 31, 2015.
“We had a strong start to the year with double digit revenue growth, over half of which was driven by new gTLD registrations. Additionally, we now have 35 gTLDs in ‘general availability’ and anticipate at least 4 more to launch in 2015,” said Chief Executive Officer Taryn Naidu.
Naidu continued, “We continue to see the power of the new gTLDs driving improvement across all of our metrics – including revenue, margins, average selling prices and domain counts.Â The market is still in the early stages of development, and we will be making targeted investments throughout 2015 to drive awareness and preference for new gTLDs by consumers and businesses.Â Additionally, we plan to grow our strategic partnerships and increase distribution of our existing and yet to be launched gTLDs.”
|Three months endedÂ|
|Registrar services (1)||Â $Â 41,999||Â $37,532|
|Registry services (1)||Â 1,605||Â 42|
|Aftermarket and other||Â 7,332||Â 7,018|
|Eliminations (2)||Â (405)||Â (40)|
|Total revenue||Â $Â 50,531||Â $44,552|
|Gain on other assets, net||Â $Â (7,223)||Â $ (4,860)|
|Income (loss) before income taxes||Â $Â 933||Â $ (2,557)|
|Income tax (benefit) expense||Â (943)||Â 1,364|
|Net income (loss)||Â $Â 1,876||Â $ (3,921)|
|Adjusted EBITDA (3)||Â $Â 568||Â $ (2,274)|
(1) Amounts for Registrar and Registry services revenue were previously presented on a combined basis as Domain Name Services revenue.
(2) Amounts in theÂ eliminations line reflect the elimination of intercompany charges between our registry and registrar businesses.
(3) This Non-GAAP financial measure is described below and reconciled to GAAP net income (loss) in the accompanying table.
First Quarter 2015 Financial Highlights
(Unless otherwise noted, all comparisons are relative to the fiscal first quarter 2014.)
- Registrar services revenue increased 12% to $42.0 million compared to $37.5 million primarily due to new gTLD registrations, improved performance by existing resellers and the continued onboarding of eNom wholesale partners.
- Registry services revenue increased to $1.6 million compared to $42 thousand.
- Aftermarket and other revenue was $7.3 Â million compared to $7.0 million.
- Total revenue increased 13% to $50.5 million compared to $44.6 million.
- Gain on other assets, net was $7.2 million representing the gain on withdrawals of its interest in gTLD applications during the period compared to $4.9 million.
- Net income was $1.9 million compared to a net loss of $3.9 million.
- Adjusted EBITDA was $0.6 million, compared to adjusted EBITDA of ($2.3 million).
- Rightside has signed 4 new registry operator agreements so far in 2015, with 39 gTLDs secured to date, and has an interest in 17 additional gTLD applications that have yet to be awarded to their ultimate registry operator.
- As of March 31, 2015, 33 of Rightside’s owned and operated gTLDs were in “general availability” for an average of 189 days each.Â These have generated over 235,000 registrations to date.
- Over half of registrar service revenue growth during the first quarter came from new gTLD registrations.
- Name.com revenue grew over 30% during the period.Â Year-to-date, approximately 15% of Name.com new registrations came from new gTLDs with an average selling price of the new gTLDs over three times that of legacy gTLDs.
Registrar Services Operating Metrics
|Three months endedÂ|
|End of period domains (in millions) (1)||16.2||15.2||6.6%|
|Average revenue per domain (2)||Â $Â 10.43||Â $Â 10.00||4.3%|
|Renewal rate (3)||77.4%||75.1%|
(1)Â A domain is defined as an individual domain name registered by a third-party customer on Rightside’s registrar platforms for which Rightside has begun to recognize revenue.
(2)Â Average revenue per domain is calculated by dividing registrar services revenue for a period by the average number of domains registered on Rightside’s registrar platforms in that period.Â Average revenue per domain for partial year periods is annualized.
(3)Â The renewal rate is defined as the percentage of domain names on Rightside’s registrar platforms that are renewed after their original term expires.
Liquidity and Capital Resources
- As of March 31, 2015, Rightside had cash and cash equivalents of $45.9 million, compared to $49.7 million as of December 31, 2014.
- As of March 31, 2015, Rightside had $11.0 million of Letters of Credit outstanding under its $30 million revolving credit facility with Silicon Valley Bank, which was established on August 1, 2014 and matures in August 2017.
- As of March 31, 2015, Rightside had fully drawn its $30 million term loan credit facility with certain funds managed by Tennenbaum Capital Partners, LLC, which was established on August 6, 2014 and matures in August 2019.
For the full year ending December 31, 2015, Rightside reaffirms its guidance :
- Total revenue of $210 million to $220 million, inclusive of $6 million to $9 million of GAAP revenue from the registry services business; and
- Total Adjusted EBITDA to break-even as Rightside invests margin generated by the business back into driving market development efforts.
Conference Call and Webcast
Rightside will host a conference call and audio webcast with investors and analysts today, May 7, at 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time (2:00 p.m. Pacific Time):
- Live conference call: 844-413-1777 (domestic) or 716-247-5761 (international)
- Conference call replay available through May 12, 2015:Â 855-859-2056 (domestic) or 404-537-3406 (international)
- Conference ID: 28640125
- Live and archived webcast: investors.rightside.co
About Non-GAAP Financial Measures
We define Adjusted EBITDA as net income (loss) adjusted for interest, income taxes, gain on sale of marketable securities, gain on other assets, net, depreciation and amortization, stock-based compensation, as well as the financial impact of acquisition and realignment costs. Acquisition and realignment costs include legal, accounting and other professional fees directly attributable to acquisition activity as well as employee severance and other payments in connection with corporate realignment activities. Adjusted EBITDA is a non-GAAP financial measure and its most directly comparable GAAP financial measure is GAAP net income (loss). Â A reconciliation of GAAP net income (loss) to Adjusted EBITDA can be found in the accompanying table. Adjusted EBITDA should not be considered in isolation or as a substitute for performance measures calculated in accordance with GAAP.Â Rightside compensates for these limitations by relying primarily on its GAAP results and using Adjusted EBITDA only as a supplement.
Rightsideâ¢ inspires and delivers new possibilities for consumers and businesses to define and present themselves online. The company, with its affiliates, is a leading provider of domain name services, offering one of the industry’s most comprehensive platforms for the discovery, registration, usage, and monetization of domain names. In addition to being a new gTLD registry operator, Rightside is home to some of the most admired brands in the industry, including eNom and Name.com. Headquartered in Kirkland, WA, Rightside has offices in North America, Europe and Australia. For more information please visit www.rightside.co.
This Rightside news release was sourced from: