.PL Domain Market Plateaus As Registration Growth Hard To Find

It’s an issue that many ccTLDs in Europe and other developed markets throughout the world have encountered: new registrations are plateauing, and total registrations are either stable or slightly dropping. And Poland’s .pl is no different.

At the end of September 2019 there were 2,553,759 active domain names, down from 2,585,609 12 months ago, a decline of 31,850 for the year. For the quarter, at the end of June 2019 there were 2,602,326 active domains, a decline of 48,567 for the quarter.

But it’s not as if there aren’t new registrations. In the third quarter there were 170,754 new .pl domain names registered, which means that an average of 1,856 domain names were being registered daily.

Domain names secured with DNSSEC have declined in the last 12 months, down from over 496,000 at the end of September 2018 to almost 465,000 at the end of September 2019.

At the end of the third quarter there were 1,076,157 registrants, which means there was an average, of 2.37 .pl domain names per registrant. During the quarter there were 26,005 changes of .pl domain names registrants.

The vast majority of .pl domain names are registered within Poland, with 93.01% registered within the country while the remaining 6.99% abroad, with the most popular country for the registrant being Germany, accounting for 1.60% of registrants, followed by the UK (0.70%) and USA ( (0.65%).

At the end of September 2019, there were 35,650 .pl domain names with national diacritic signs (Internationalised Domain Names or IDNs), consisting of 1.40% of all names active in the registry. From the beginning of July to the end of September 2019 2,122 IDNs were registered, i.e. 1.24% of all .pl domain names registered during the period under discussion. The number of .pl IDNs increased by 424 in the 12-month period.

Activities highlighted by the .pl registry, NASK, for the quarter were a comprehensive solution for registrars was implemented, cooperating with NASK within the framework of the Partner Programme, consisting in easier implementation of formal and legal changes. The solution, composed of three elements: bulk transfer, merger of accounts and assignment, has been primarily designed to strengthen the security of registrants due to the provision of continual administrative and technical service of .pl domain names in the event of termination of cooperation between the Registry and the registrar.

To download the full report, the Q3.pl domain name market: NASK’s report for the third quarter of 2019, go to: https://www.dns.pl/en/NASK-Q3-2019-REPORT-EN.pdf


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *