Key Industry Stats and Trends for Q1 2007:
- TLD registration growth reached 31 percent year-over-year, and 6 percent over most recent quarter
- ccTLD growth of 33 percent year-over-year, and 5 percent quarter-over-quarter
- New ccTLD registrations were up 86 percent year-over-year
- 10.7 million total new registrations worldwide in Q1 2007
- Total worldwide base of 128 million domain name registrations
- 7 million registrations for new .com and .net domain names in Q1 2007.
The briefing also publicises .tv domains, claiming there are new opportunities with the large number of internet users in the US who regularly watched online video content. Most news reports reproduce the news release, but Internet News interview Raynor Dahlquist, vice president at VeriSign, who says new registrations have come from “domain-name investors and large portfolio holders who leverage the Pay Per Click advertising model to generate advertising revenue from their domain name registrations remain a small but consistent percentage within our new name sales.” Also noted was the growth and usage of .tv and that VeriSign is now handling 30 billion DNS requests per day, up almost 70% from year-ago levels.http://www.verisign.com/press_releases/pr/page_042169.html