As part of the comprehensive GNSO Improvements effort, last year the ICANN Board approved the formation of four new GNSO Stakeholder Groups (SGs). After considering proposed SG Charters that were submitted by the community and posted for public comment , the ICANN Board passed a Resolution in May directing its Structural Improvements Committee (SIC) and ICANN Staff to revise the SG Charters to make them consistent with the Boardâs GNSO Improvements Report (and related Resolutions).
Background and Explanation
Stakeholder Groups are integral elements of a new, restructured GNSO, and are intended to be lightweight âcaucusesâ bringing together like-minded international groups (Constituencies) to elect the best representatives to fill the SGâs allotted Council seats. Stakeholder Groups ensure that the ratio of Council seats among SGs remains the same while encouraging the formation of new Constituencies and the continued growth and diversification of the GNSO community. The overall GNSO Improvements effort and the role SGs will play in that arena is more fully described in the Stakeholder Group section of the GNSO Improvements Information Web Page.
The SIC provided the community with the revised charters linked below and discussed these documents during ICANNâs recent Sydney meeting. The revised charters are posted to further encourage public comment via email to email@example.com by 21 July 2009.
- Commercial SG Charter [PDF, 29K]
- Non-Commercial SG Charter [PDF, 59K]
- Registrars SG Charter [PDF, 60K]
- Registries SG Charter [PDF, 117K]
Relevant Board Resolutions, Bylaws and Constituency Submissions
- GNSO Improvements Information Web Page: gnso.icann.org/en/improvements/
- GNSO Improvements Report adopted by the Board (3 February 2008): icann.org/topics/gnso-improvements/gnso-improvements-report-03feb08.pdf
- Resolution of 26 June 2009 Board Meeting: icann.org/en/minutes/resolutions-26jun09.htm#2
- Minutes of 28 August 2008 Board Meeting: icann.org/en/minutes/minutes-28aug08.htm
- Minutes of 1 October 2008 ICANN Board Meeting: icann.org/en/minutes/minutes-01oct08.htm
- Five Stakeholder Group Submissions received from the community: gnso.icann.org/en/improvements/stakeholder-process-en.htm
The Process From Here
At the end of this public comment forum period, the ICANN Staff will provide a summary/analysis of the comments submitted regarding each Stakeholder Group submission. That summary/analysis will be shared with the community and the Board. The Board will subsequently take action on each Stakeholder Group petition and charter as it deems appropriate.
Deadline and How to Submit Comments
A 21-day public consultation forum has been opened from 30 June through 21 July 2009. The formal Public Comment Forum Box is located here: icann.org/en/public-comment/#stakeholder
To submit comments: Comments on the documents are welcome via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To view comments: An archive of all comments received will be publicly posted at forum.icann.org/lists/gnso-stakeholder-charters/.
This ICANN announcement was sourced from: