ICANN is holding a Public Comment proceeding to obtain comments on the Draft Fiscal Year 2023 Operating Plan & Budget for the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) functions and the Public Technical Identifiers (PTI).
Open for Submission Date
15 September 2021
Close for Submission Date
25 October 2021
What We Need Your Input On
This Public Comment proceeding seeks community feedback on the Draft for the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) FY23 Operating Plan & Budget and the Draft Public Technical Identifiers (PTI) FY23 Operating Plan & Budget.
PTI is an affiliate of ICANN and, through contracts and subcontracts with ICANN, is responsible for the operations of the IANA functions. PTI has its own Bylaws that require the organization to develop its own annual PTI Operating Plan & Budget (OP&B). The PTI OP&B includes all costs directly related to the delivery of the IANA services: performing day-to-day operations, developing and evolving tools and systems, reporting on performance and customer satisfaction, and maintaining the security and integrity of key elements of Internet infrastructure.
The IANA OP&B includes the PTI OP&B, activities related to the contract oversight, and activities incurred by ICANN. Once the PTI OP&B is adopted by the PTI Board, it is then incorporated into the broader IANA OP&B, which is considered by the ICANN Board to support the operations of the IANA Functions.
Because the annual IANA OP&B comprises the full PTI OP&B, it is important that both documents are thoroughly reviewed during the Public Comment process.
During this Public Comment Period
- Community members seeking clarification on any details in the draft plans should submit questions to email@example.com by 29 September 2021.
- ICANN org will provide responses to clarifying questions by 8 October 2021, approximately 2 weeks before this Public Comment period ends.
After this Public Comment Period
- ICANN org will consult the community as needed to ensure understanding of the comments submitted and prepare a report of Public Comments.
- Where necessary, changes will be made to the draft plans. The revised draft PTI plan will be presented to the PTI Board for consideration in December 2021; once approved, the revised IANA plan, inclusive of the approved PTI plan, will be presented to the ICANN Board for consideration.
- The Empowered Community will have an opportunity to consider the IANA Operating Plan and Budget after ICANN Board approval. An overview of the Empowered Community’s powers is published on the Empowered Community webpage.
Link to Public Comment Proceeding
Draft FY23 IANA Operating Plan and Budget
ICANN’s mission is to help ensure a stable, secure, and unified global Internet. To reach another person on the Internet, you need to type an address – a name or a number – into your computer or other device. That address must be unique so computers know where to find each other. ICANN helps coordinate and support these unique identifiers across the world. ICANN was formed in 1998 as a nonprofit public benefit corporation with a community of participants from all over the world.
This ICANN announcement was sourced from: