Section I: Description, Explanation, and Purpose:
The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) functions contract (SA1301-12-CN-0035) between ICANN and the United States Department of Commerce, National Telecommunications Information Administration (NTIA) to maintain the continuity and stability of services related to certain interdependent Internet technical management functions, known collectively as the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority calls for a public consultation from all interested and affected parties to help satisfy the following objectives:
C.2.6 Transparency and Accountability â [No later than 1 October 2013], the Contractor shall, in collaboration with all interested and affected parties as enumerated in Section C.1.3, develop user instructions including technical requirements for each corresponding IANA function and post via a website.
C.2.7 Responsibility and Respect for Stakeholders â [No later than 1 October 2013], the Contractor shall, in collaboration with all interested and affected parties as enumerated in Section C.1.3, develop for each of the IANA functions a process for documenting the source of the policies and procedures and how it will apply the relevant policies and procedures for the corresponding IANA function and post via a website.
The interested and affected parties are identified in C.1.3 as:
â¦the multi-stakeholder, private sector led, bottom-up policy development model for the domain name system (DNS) that the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) represents; the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) and the Internet Architecture Board (IAB); Regional Internet Registries (RIRs); top-level domain (TLD) operators/managers (e.g., country codes and generic); governments; and the Internet user community.
The IANA functions are identified in C.2.9 as:
(1) the coordination of the assignment of technical Internet protocol parameters; (2) the administration of certain responsibilities associated with the Internet DNS root zone management; (3) the allocation of Internet numbering resources; and (4) other services related to the management of the ARPA and INT top-level domains (TLDs).
This consultation relates to the user instructions for the allocation of Internet numbering resources.
This is one of a series of consultations to identify source documents and publish user instructions for the delivery of the IANA functions, as described in contract SA1301-12-CN-0035.
- Consultation on the Source of Policies & User Instructions for Internet Number Resource Requests [PDF, 458 KB]
- Contract SA1301-12-CN-0035 and related documents
- ICANN Address Supporting Organization (ASO) MoU
- Memorandum of Understanding Concerning the Technical Work of the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority
Comment / Reply Periods
- Comment Open Date: 25 June 2013
- Comment Close Date: 16 July 2013 – 23:59 UTC
- Reply Open Date: 17 July 2013
- Reply Close Date:7 August 2013 – 23:59 UTC
Important Information Links