[news release] Sedo, the leading online domain marketplace and monetization provider, today announced the results of its Q3 2011 Domain Market Study, which reveals domain industry trends based on its marketplace transactions. In Q3, Sedoâs Domain Marketplace saw a total of 9,778 sales globally, amounting to more than $19,000,000 in sales volume, and an average domain sales price of $1,974. Two of the studyâs most significant findings â the growth of Buy Now domain sales and the increased strength of .info domains in the market â reveal increasing customer interest in fast domain purchases and affordable investment opportunities.
According to the report, .com domains continue to be the most frequently sold, with notable sales including grid.com for $275,000 and republic.com for $200,000. With the Q2 2011 sale of gambling.com for $2,500,000â Sedoâs third-highest sale everâsales volume remained relatively consistent as compared to the previous quarters of 2011.
Sedoâs Domain Marketplace went through a number of improvements this quarter, including updates to its homepage, a revamp of the parking section of its customersâ accounts, and the launch of the first Domain Name Price Index, IDNX. On August 1st, the biggest change in Sedoâs 10-year history took place when Sedo re-launched its marketplace.
âWhile the introduction of the new gTLDs is no doubt an exciting prospect, a decade of Sedoâs market trend data shows that, even with the addition of new domain extensions, .com retains its position at the top,â says Tim Schumacher, CEO of Sedo. âHowever, the strength of .info sales, and a larger market share for .de names this quarter, proves that newer TLDs or country-specific ones are a solid investment for domain portfolio holders.â
Other highlights of Sedoâs Q3 2011 study include:
- The .com extension continues to be the most popular during Q3, accounting for 49% percent of all sales. However, the .de extension has grown 3%, with 21% of the market share, revealing the growing popularity of ccTLDs for country- or language-specific use.
- The .net extension held steady as the second most frequently sold gTLD at 6% market share, and .co.uk was the second highest ccTLD with 7% market share.
- Although traditionally the strongest median sales prices have been for .com, .net and .org domains, in Q3, .info came in third with a median price of $519, beating out .org for the first time.
- The Offer-Counteroffer channel remained the most popular, accounting for 38% of all sales, but this quarterâs Buy Now sales accounted for 32% of all marketplace sales, revealing that Buy Now domains are quickly becoming an attractive prospect for domain sellers and buyers.
- Top US sales include grid.com ($275,000), republic.com ($200,000) and onlinedegree.com ($120,000).
Sedoâs complete Q3 2011 report can be found online at: www.sedo.com/press/Domainstudy_Q3_2011.pdf
About Sedo Sedo, an acronym for âSearch Engine for Domain Offers,â is the leading domain marketplace and monetization provider. Headquartered in Cologne, Germany and with offices in London, England and Cambridge, Mass., Sedo has assembled the world””s largest database of domain names for sale, with more than15 million listings. The success of Sedo””s model has attracted a global membership base of more than 1 million domain professionals. For more information, visit www.Sedo.com.
This Sedo news release was sourced from: