The company announced that the next round of registration, functioning on a first-come, first-serve basis, would start on July 17, during which all available domains would be awarded to the first bidders that meet required conditions.
The General Sunrise Period began in May, when only trademark owners could have applied for their .ME domain. .ME domain names that receive more than one application will be awarded through an auction process. .ME is expected to be utilized as a personalized Web address and as a catchy business marketing tool around the world. The .ME Landrush (pre-registration) period began in early June, and Open Registration is set to begin on a first-come, first-served basis in mid-July. Two-year minimums are required on all .ME domain names registered during the Landrush and initial Open Registration periods.
The complete .ME registration schedule is as follows:
* May 6 to May 20: General Sunrise Period. During this time, anyone with a trademark is eligible to apply for a .ME domain.
* May 20 to June 6: Quiet Period. The registry will be closed to registrars. Sunrise auctions will begin for names that were bid on by multiple parties. .ME domain names that receive only one application will be awarded.
* June 6 to June 26: Landrush. This was the first opportunity for the public at large to apply. Anyone who doesnât have a trademark, but is interested in a specific .ME domain, can apply during this period. This is also when Sunrise challenges begin.
* June 26 to July 15: Quiet Period. During this time, the registry is closed to registrars. Names for which there was only one application during the Landrush Period are allocated. Landrush auctions will begin for names that received multiple applications.
* July 17: Open Registration. Domain names are registered on a first-come, first-served basis.